From March 18-20, 2011, Amnesty International USA members will take to the streets of San Francisco to celebrate AI’s 50th anniversary at the Annual General Meeting (AGM)! The gathering will be at the Fairmont Hotel, the birthplace of the United Nations. Participants will gain essential skills in human rights advocacy, volunteering and community organizing.
Here’s a line-up of just a few of the exciting speakers who will be joining us:
- Mike Posner – Lawyer, the Founding Executive Director and later the President of Human Rights First, former member of AIUSA Board of Directors and the current Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor of the United States
- Roxana Saberi – Journalist and former prisoner of conscience
- Lydia Cacho – Author, Journalist, and Ginetta Sagan award recipient
- U.N. Special Rapporteur Juan Mendez – Argentine academic, lawyer, Special Rapporteur for the United Nations Human Rights Council on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, and former prisoner of conscience
- Joan Baez – American folk singer-songwriter, activist, and one of the key early supporters of AIUSA in the west
- Chad Stokes Urmston – Musician of the bands ‘Dispatch’ and ‘State Radio’. Avid activist for Amnesty and also co-founder of the service organization, Calling All Crows
- Nazanin Boniadi – Iranian-British actress and Amnesty spokesperson, film credits include Charlie Wilson’s War, Iron Man and The Next Three Days
You must register by Friday, March 4th. Click here to register now and begin planning your trip to San Francisco.
P.S. If you have other plans over the dates of the AGM, please consider sponsoring a Youth Human Rights Advocate. Click here to support the efforts to bring young advocates to this important event.